Tuesday 1 May 2012

Grit and Gravel, and Corrugations


I have done the incredible once again! This last week I rode out to a dam, because I craved a paddle. What I’m saying is that I really wanted to go out and paddle in a kayak. There are three dams nearby that are suitable for paddling, but I could only go to one, because we moved the kayaks recently, to the smallest of the three. This dam is on a farm called Damascus. The dam is 22km out of town which is not too far to go on a little 50cc scooter, is it?

There were only two problems… One was that my moped has started stalling at high speed. Don’t worry; it’s not as dangerous as it sounds. The moped doesn’t actually stall, but it loses power and then shuts off as soon as I come to a stop. When I first encountered this, I tried limiting the fuel, but that did not work, so I tried un-limiting the fuel, which did not work either. Now I just make do, and start it up as soon as it switches off. It’s not the best situation, and it looks really funny when someone sees me kick starting the scooter at every stop sign.

The other, more serious problem was that the 22km were on slippery, treacherous, bumpy gravel. Yes, it was a dirt road. The Yamaha Passola was not made for off-roading, and it probably handles corrugations a lot worse after thirty years. This did not deter me in any way though, so I filled up, put my helmet on and tied the paddle to the moped. Let me add that the only way that I could tie the paddle to the moped prevented me from sitting on the seat. I had two options; side saddle, or on the rear cage. I chose the latter.

The ride there was not exactly comfortable, and it felt like it took tremendously long. I had to stop six or seven times because of my previously mentioned engine troubles. On my fourth stop I looked down and saw two bolts jumping up and down on my foot panel. Where these bolts came from, I don’t know, but it did unnerve me a little at the time.

When I arrived at the dam, I was so happy at the Red Devils achievement, but I didn’t waste time by celebrating, because I knew dark would be coming soon. I ran to fetch the kayak and forced it through a thicket of all different types of thorn trees, and then I followed it. I found out that the dam hadn’t received water in a long time, and the water was stagnant. After doing two laps of the dam, and being petrified by massive underwater creatures, I got out and ran around five hundred metres with the boat on my shoulder.

By the time I started on my way back, it was past six, and the sun had sunk beyond the horizon. The way back was fast, and 5km from home my dad came out to check if I was still all right. I was, and I rode the last few kilometres back in complete darkness.

I felt the same way I did when I finished my journey from Oudtshoorn. It revived my interest and yearning for moped adventures. We will just have to see where the little Devil takes me next…

4 comments:

  1. Hi mate, hope you're well?

    Just letting you know that I'm still checking in every now and then to have a read ;o)

    I'm planning to get my Red Passola home in the next week or so (yes I believe I've said that before lol), so stay tuned for an update.

    Your problem could be one of two things that spring to mind. The first could be an incorrectly adjusted carburettor float, or the Oil pump might not be adjusted correctly. The Oil pump adjustment is easy to check. This is a quote from the Haynes manual:

    "Remove the small plastic oil pump cover so that the pump pulley is visible. Start the engine and allow it to warm up to normal operating temperature. This is important to ensure that the auto-choke is fully off and the engine is running at it's normal idle speed. Gradually open the throttle twistgrip until the engine speed just begins to increase, indicating that the free play in the throttle cable has been taken up. At this setting the pin and fixed pointer on the oil pump should coincide. If necessary, make any adjustments using the in-line adjuster fitted to the cable next to the air filter unit. Note: Take great care not to open the throttle twistgrip too far, otherwise the automatic transmission will engage. For this reason place the machine firmly on it's centre stand and make sure that tools or other items are kept clear of the rear wheel."

    To check the carburettor float height you need to first remove the carburettor. Once you have done this, you now have to remove the float bowl and place carburettor upside down so the float is on top. Let the float rest and take the measurement from what is the bottom of the float (now the very top as carb is upside down), to the mating surface of the float chamber to carb body. This measurement should be 25mm +/- 1mm (0.9843 +/- 0.0394 in).

    If this measurement is out, just bent the float slightly up or down until the right measurement is achieved.

    I'm pretty certain that it's just the float level that's causing your probs, but it doesn't hurt to check the oil pump while you're there ;o)

    Take it easy
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've added your blog inside mine, check it out --> http://passola-lover.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got a Passola - love it, and love there is a blog like this - exited to read it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi i stay in bellville western cape got my first red passola today just one problem it has so carb im so keen to start it up where would i start to look??

    ReplyDelete